Thursday, May 19, 2011

Save Our Skin

With May now in full swing it brings the unofficial start to summer, lemonade, beach time, picnics, lazy river rides! But, it also brings Melanoma Awareness Month. Although melanoma accounts for only about 4 to 5 percent of all skin cancer cases, it causes most skin cancer-related deaths. But what I feel like people don't know is that if detected and treated in its earliest stages, melanoma is often curable, which is pretty awesome! 
Ever since I was a little girl my family has done their best to teach me the importance of protecting my skin, and it became ever more evident to me when I lost my Dad to melanoma about a year and a half ago. I can't begin to explain how it feels to lose a parent, but I'm very lucky in that I have some amazing memories with him. My Dad was the most caring, hilarious, kindest man in the world and because of him I have the strength to make this post. 
Please take a look at http://dcmf.ca/tools for some tools and information about protecting yourself and others from skin cancer. It's important!
The only guy at the Grand Canyon who assumes no one else will be watching the sunset and brings his wine 


-Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment